We offer a unique CYW interning learning opportunity, to gain hands-on experience and put the theory you’ve learned in to practice. Flexibility is the name of the game, both in youth needs, as well as your own scheduling and programme planning. We have one position per school year available, and the interviewing process must happen prior to September of the interning year.
Being part of the ABLE team presents exciting new learning opportunities and enriching experiences. We depend on students to help enhance the programs and services we offer and to assist staff in providing the finest standards of service that align with our vision and philosophy.
You Expect To Do During Placement?
- Work, as part of a team, 1 to 1 with students ages 6 to 19 where students needs vary from academic clarity to anxiety management
- Develop and lead participate in sensory/art/vocational activities
- Run game day and other social structured activities
- Accompany staff on field trips and outreach youth
- Meet with and consult with other staff members
- Help develop and deliver object lessons and social activities to assist students in social development
What you will expect to receive:
- the opportunity to build and develop meaningful relationships with the students
- One-one one exposure working with youth
- Open-minded supervision welcoming new and diverse ideas
- Knowledge of how to use a strength based approach with each student
- The opportunity to work with community partners for the benefit of the student
- Exposure to the Ontario educational system, and hands on experience modifying both delivery and expectations to suit the individual student
- Enrolled in 2nd or 3rd year of a CYW program in an accredited Ontario college
- Be in good standing at the college
- Current (within 3 months) Police Record check with VSS
- Submit your interest in a cover letter with a current resume, outlining your expectations, and why you chose us as your placement site.
- Meet with the school principal. If the first interview is successful, you will have a follow-up meeting with support staff.